Thursday, July 26, 2012

First Days in Bhutan

It has been pretty quiet around here for the past few days, as new staff orientation does not start until tomorrow and the college is not in session until August 6th. Once I settled my stuff in the apartment, there wasn't much to do except prepare my lessons (especially Comparative World Politics, since I've never dealt with that before). Of course, I can't do that all day otherwise I would go crazy. The last few days have also rained nonstop so I have been stuck in my apartment most of the time (not that the monsoon stops Bhutanese from getting anything done). Since school is not in session yet, the bus is not running between campus and Thimphu and the cars have been used up collecting incoming faculty as they arrive in Paro and driving them to town for their supplies.

So I have been mostly bumming around the apartment, appreciative that many of you have interacted with this blog and enjoying reading comments both here and on Facebook. I have been trying to post blogs and pictures now, as I think it will get busy for me in the next couple of weeks and I will be less able to keep up. I am also glad that I loaded up a portable hard drive with music and movies back in the US, as it is impossible to stream anything over the internet (either it's blocked by the college or it's blocked by the US). Of course, I'm not watching movies all the time – that would be a waste of an opportunity here – but there are times when you just can't read anymore and want to relax and be entertained. I have been rewatching "Flight of the Conchords."

Here's the first meal I prepared myself here. Just a stir fry with local vegetables and, of course, chiles! Notice also, the Kuensel newspaper. That's the national paper, also readily available online. 

My second meal was a little bit more Western: pasta with tomato sauce. I found a Heinz-Thailand brand spaghetti sauce and pasta is readily available in any shop. Of course, I added local veggies and dried chiles. Also, a little "Flight of the Conchords" to accompany dinner. 

Yesterday, in-between the rain showers, I took a walk around campus. I met a few new faculty as well – all from India – and they seem very pleasant. I am looking forward to meeting more tomorrow. 

Our apartment blocks. 

The entrance to the college. 


A display of the five Druk Gyalpo ("Dragon Kings") that have ruled Bhutan since the early 20th century.


I love all the architectural details here in Bhutan.

As I mentioned before, Bhutan uses amusingly formal English sometimes. Here's a typical sign. 

Open space for students. 

Today I went into town with my new friends Deepak and Budhee. They had some errands to run and knew that I wanted to get into town to explore and buy more supplies. I went around with them on their errands, and Deepak showed me around the different shops and squares. Thimphu is a really cool city of commerce – there are a ton of little shops that are mostly general in nature. They all seem to sell mostly the same items, but it seems that people have their favorite shops – mostly because they know the shop keepers. The staff really want me to play football, so one of the stops was a football shop. I got some boots and a kit, but it was pretty pricey. In what seems to be typical cultural-Bhutanese fashion, the shop owner told me I could pay him later next month. That was it – just words and no other transactions. Try doing that in the States! I could not find boots in my size, and bought the biggest shoes they had, which were one size down. They feel tight, but okay and I think they will stretch. It's funny, because I feel like such a giant here! Everyone is shorter than I am and slighter in build. It's a feeling I don't ever experience in the States. Deepak insisted that I get my kit (an Arsenal jersey is their 'uniform') personalized and took me to a place that does screen printing. So now I will have a "Matt. #30" personalized Arsenal jersey. 

Deepak and I walked through the Centenary Farmer's Market which is open 4 days per week and features a huge selection of produce. (Emily – you're going to love it!) Since I had some produce left from the last shopping trip, I only got some asparagus (a local favorite), mangoes, plums, and pears. All – of course – local and freshly picked. Love it. 

 One of the main shopping areas: Changlam Square.

Good example of Bhutanese architecture. I think this is a Ministry of something or other. 

Changlam Square, again. 

The Centenary Farmer's Market. 

 





This is the Lama Bakery near Changlam Square. 
They make excellent European-style breads and sweets. 

To the left is the National Stadium (Changlimithang) and the National Archery Grounds
(Archery is the national sport in Bhutan).

...

I want to remind everyone that I have a SmugMug page where I put up many more pictures than I show on this blog. If you like the pictures from any blog posting, I can almost guarantee you there is a whole album of many more pictures with more details about the places I have experienced. Here are some of the recent albums I just put up: 

"Minnesota Farewell Summer"

Featuring my summer in Minnesota spending time with friends, including the wedding of my friends Chris and Lisa and my goodbye party. 

"Iowa" 

The Iowa road-trip that Emily and I took in early July to visit my grandparents. 

"Helsinki"

Many more pictures taken than put up on the blog, with some historical and geographical context. 

"Delhi"

Many more pictures of Delhi than in the posting, also with more context. 

"Bhutan"

All of the pictures I have taken in Bhutan so far, including more pictures of my plane ride into Paro, the  apartment, and the campus. 

...

So, please, check out the SmugMug galleries when you get a moment. You can also comment and interact with me there – and I would greatly appreciate it! As another reminder, you can click on any picture embedded in the blog posts to enlarge them and see all of the pictures in one gallery. 

...

Well, it's time to get ready for the football match this afternoon. We'll see how well my body has acclimatized. I've never played a football match at 7,800 feet before! 




4 comments:

  1. Hope your feet held up with the 1 size smaller shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Le Arse...I guess that's better than Man U or Chelsea. The architecture is really cool. We enjoy the pics, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myself Lucky Vashishtha, I am working in tourism industry from last 15years as an approved tour guide from ministry of tourism. I travelled all over the India with my guests ,after that I have decided to open my own travel company #ANAISHA JOURNEY, it was very challenging, but anaisha journey made it possible after providing best services, informations, innovative tours, best luxury hotels, transportation. Anaisha journey noida Agra based company now one of the best travel Company in India.
    Best Of South India Tour with Kerala 15 Nights 16 Days
    Highlights Of South India Tour
    Enchanting Kerala Tour Packages
    4 Nights 5 Days Tamilnadu Tour
    10 Days Best Itinerary of Rajasthan Tour
    Rajasthan Camel Safari tour 16 Nights 17 Days

    Thanks and best regards
    Lucky Vashishtha
    www.anaishajourney.com
    +919997959209
    +916395366927

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bhutan is the only country in the world where happiness is measured as an output. In Bhutan, happiness is considered as more important than GDP. The King of Bhutan and the country’s government take a lot of care to ensure that their people lead happy, fulfilled lives.

    Dune Buggy Dubai

    ReplyDelete