Friday, July 20, 2012

An afternoon in Helsinki

The travel adventure has officially begun! After a somewhat hectic last week in Minneapolis of packing, moving, and trying to see friends, I bid farewell to the United States on Thursday and landed in Helsinki, Finland this morning.

The drastic transition from American life to South Asia has been somewhat delayed by this stop in Finland, so it doesn't seem quite real yet. I have been to Europe several times, so it does not seem so strange to begin with. Also, the Finnish basically look like fashionable Minnesotans. In fact I was mistaken for a Finn several times as they launched into Finnish and I gave them a blank stare.

This sign is warning you to not attempt to read or speak Finnish. 

I took a taxi from the airport and arrived in the heart of downtown, which is centered around a promenade named Esplanadi. It was slightly reminiscent of the La Rambla in Barcelona, only with less creepy human statues and more wind ensembles. I walked down the length of the promenade, which was pleasant because it was a pleasant day (partly cloudy and 65!), but mostly there were trendy shops that I wasn't interested in exploring. 

Esplanadi. 

From Esplanadi, I walked up to the very prominent Helsinki Cathedral which is the tallest building in Helsinki. As in other major European cities, cathedrals are architecturally beautiful and interesting and Helsinki's was no exception. 




From the cathedral I walked down to the waterfront and into the daily market located along the water. I had a late lunch of fried smelt, boiled potatoes, and wafer bread. How Scandinavian! p.s. It was good – especially for street food. 


After lunch I wandered amongst the seller stalls for awhile, then took a water ferry to the Helsinki Fort, which is a UNESCO heritage site. I walked quickly through a portion of it; by this time in the afternoon I was tired and the weight of my bag was starting to get to me. The fort was interesting and a nice place for a stroll, but I didn't have the time nor the patience to really grasp the historical context of the things I was seeing. Apparently it is a holiday in Finland, so there were lots of people out and about (i.e. not just tourists). 






I am going to have to cut this post short since I need to get ready for my flight to Delhi. Just thought I would give you a brief tour of Helsinki as I experienced it in an afternoon. I really like this city, even though we barely know each other. This being my first time in a Scandinavian country, I am struck by the cleanliness, the orderliness, and generally the minimalist lack of clutter and ordination. I feel at home here. 

By the way, Helsinki Airport has unequivocally become my favorite airport in the world. It is incredibly clean, quiet, well-marked, high-tech, energy efficient, calm, and has free wi-fi (you hear THAT, American airports?!). Delhi will be a definite contrast. 





2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you've already completed this update, though I'm not surprised. Sounds like a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also note that the Helsinki has plenty of outlets for people to charge their laptops, phones, and other devices. It is embarrassing – for America – that businessmen in suits have to sit on the floor near the drinking fountains in O'Hare (for example) just to charge their phone.

    ReplyDelete