Monday, September 10, 2012

En Route to Delhi


Kuzuzangpo from Bhutan! I’ve arrived and will now be making regular contributions to the blog. Lucky you! However, before we get to my experiences thus far in Bhutan, I’m going to start with my trip through India.

On September 5th, I had an early day that began with a 5:15am departure from Rochester, MN (where my parents live) and a 9 am flight to Chicago. I had a 3 hour layover at O’Hare and was able to enjoy one last delicious torta at Tortas Fronteras. Seriously, go there if you can! This was important because Mexican food is in very short supply in Bhutan. There’s one Mexican restaurant in Thimphu but it’s gotten mediocre reviews from those who have tried it. Good thing I filled up on food because the hike to the international terminal was quite lengthy and frustrating. After following all the proper arrows, I arrived at an elevator. I boarded said elevator only to find that there was no further signage (?!). Someone was able to direct me to the correct floor, but sometimes I wonder about people who develop these systems.... 

From the elevator I walked to a tram that took me to the international terminal where there was even more fun to be had. When I originally checked in at MSP, I was told by the agent that I needed to check in with Air India at O’Hare in order to get my boarding pass. Seems like a simple task. Then I saw the Air India line. We all know how trying airport lines can be but this was unlike any airport line I had seen in all my travels. It consisted of many large families (including children who needed strollers and older adults using wheelchairs) all with several luggage carts carrying huge suitcases. The line extended far past the cordoned off area and seemed not to move. To my delight, because I had already checked bags at MSP, I was eventually directed to a shorter line. Then it was just another security screening (going to the international terminal required leaving the secured area). 

After a bit more chaos at the gate (there was a man walking around and yelling out which rows were to be boarding instead of announcing it on an intercom), I successfully boarded the plane and took my seat on one of the aisle sides of the center row. Not ideal placement for sleeping but excellent for stretching during the 14 hour flight. The flight itself went very well (other than the obvious fact that it was very long). I was seated next to an Indian psychiatrist who chatted with my just the right amount and enjoyed watching a very 90s Bollywood film. Given that the wind was favorable, we arrived a bit early at the Delhi airport (the flight was scheduled to last for 15 hours). From there, my Delhi experience went much smoother than it did for Matt. The airport was not busy when we arrived and I was able to get through customs and retrieve my baggage very quickly. I exited the arrival area and found my ride standing outside (first time getting picked up my someone holding a placard with my name on it!). Then it was off to the hotel.

After much persuasion, I had booked a very nice hotel (where Matt stayed on his second night in Delhi) that was near the airport (and included free airport transfers - hence the driver waiting for me at the airport). The drive to the hotel was very short but I still got a little taste of the traffic and feel of the city. I was struck my how similar it was to Dakar where I have spent a total of 15 months over 3 visits - the traffic, the facades of the buildings, the general state of the infrastructure, the air even smelled the same! It’s hard to describe but was very unexpected. 

Entering the hotel itself required more security screening than I expected. In order to enter the driveway of the hotel, the undercarriage of the car and underneath the hood had to be inspected (I’ve only experienced this one other time when visiting the USAID offices in Dakar). In addition, my luggage had to be x-ray screened and I had to pass through a metal detector. I’m not sure how long this has been happening but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it was in response to the 2008 hotel bombings in Mumbai. 

Given that I was very tired from traveling, I spent the rest of the evening relaxing and the pool and refueling with some delicious food.

Next up: my time in Delhi. The post got very long so I split into two entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment